Saturday 31 August 2013

Every Child Is Special






'Kho na Jaaye Ye, Taare Zameen Par' - wish those stars don't get lost on this earth, EVERY child is special.


The gift of life is one which no man can give. Childhood is as a matter of fact one of the most fascinating things we go through in life. A period when everything is as simple as it gets, where there are no much worries, where some probably still have their best memories stashed away.
We all once were children and know how that stage of our lives felt. Without childhood, there can be no teenage and most certainly, no adulthood.

Personally, I had what I could call the best times when i was much younger as I did not have to worry about where the next meal was going to come from, money for my school fees, accommodation... Who to talk to when I was lonely was never a problem, as a matter of fact I could talk to myself, respond and totally enjoy it. Death was not something of a worry for me as I barely understood what it meant (even though I used the word 'die' more times than I can remember whilst playing with peers). Above all, I didn't have to worry about my girlfriend getting pregnant (LOL). Just kidding, But surely, we all have an idea of what it means to be a child.

EVERY CHILD IS SPECIAL

Regardless of their race, nationality, religion, tribe or whatever world has put into place to force some sort of segregation amongst us (Bottom line- we're all human beings), each and every child is wonderfully made and has  something to offer.
While some are privileged to a life of luxury, others unfortunately lack. (lack in this context doesn't necessarily imply the monetary aspect)
Children need love, affection, someone to hold them close, make them feel like they can be the best at what they do. They need someone to look up to, someone to encourage them when they don't get it right and also discipline and correct them with Love.

Like I mentioned earlier, we don't own ourselves. Some children are unfortunate to lose their mother/father or in some cases both parents and thus need someone to play these roles in their life. A child will go astray if there's no one to correct him/her or give him/her a sense of belonging. Every child needs someone he can run to, jump on after school, kiss and cuddle; I speak from experience.
Life doesn't give everyone an equal or fair chance.

Ishan Ashwati was an 8year old who suffered from dyslexia. Unfortunately for him, his parents failed to realize this (his father never had the right kind of relationship with him and always tried to restrain his mother from what he considered "over-pampering"). He kept failing to do well in school as a result of this. On the other hand, his brother (Yohan) was an A student. His father kept making his life miserable with different manners of parental threats and never drew him close to actually find out what exactly was wrong. (Sometimes our parents also make mistakes, they're totally human and are not programmed to always get it spot-on).

I was brought up in a home where I considered my dad very harsh but, at the same time a companion. He never hesitated to scold me whenever I went out of line but on every occasion would call me into his room and talk to me like he was a big brother and friend. I have no regrets whatsoever today, when I look back at my childhood and everything my parents did to us (myself and my elder sister), I smile, thank God for their lives, ours and also pray for God's everlasting blessings upon them. My biggest prayer for them is that they live to reap the fruits of their labour.

Back to my story, Ishan's father finally sent him to a boarding school because he felt there he would be disciplined to a point where he would have no choice but to force himself to study and pass.
(He wasn't unwilling to study, he just couldn't understand anything owing to his dyslexic condition)

Ishan was mocked by peers, he cried every night and day, life was a misery for him.
Mr. Nikumbh who had become their new arts teacher was a friendly, loving man. He noticed Ishan's attitude towards school, drew closer to the young lad and made him a friend. Mr Nikumbh also suffered from dyslexia as a child and so understood clearly what Ishan went through. Ishan failed his first exams so bad that the school invited his parents over, they were told that should he not improve, he'd be asked to withdraw.
As usual, the lad's father was furious and scolded him much more than he did in the past. Ishan's mother loved her son so much, she couldn't bear the pain of watching her son fail in life, she spoke to him but he couldn't explain his condition to her.

Ishan always loved to draw, he had various paintings stashed in his room and his mother would everyday flip through his art books and weep. Clearly, this boy had a passion for arts, he could paint so well, but his skill was unnoticed because his father cared about him making it only through formal education.

To cut a long story short, Ishan began to excel when he found a companion and friend, Mr. Nikumbh began to teach him to read and write and took huge interest in his artwork. The school had a policy, at the end of every section there was an art contest in which all art students including the lecturer would present a painting, the best of all was selected and the winner announced and given an award.
Ishan began to excel in his studies to everyone's surprise. Thanks to Mr. Nikumbh, his grades began to climb up the ladder and at the end of it all, he won the art competition.

There are children out there with no parents, absolutely no one to cater for them or show them the love they require, they need us (You and I). It's not all about money, you can make an impact, a very huge impact in the life of a child even without giving him/her a dime.
There are children on the streets begging for food/money, some hawking all sort of items, children under the age of 10 and yet we ignore these things that matter and talk about meaningless things.
People trend on all sort of social media for posting nudes, leaking private chats and much more and we pay attention to them and care-less about these kids.
There's a child out there crying, calling out, reaching for someone to wipe his/her tears with no one responding.

Here in Nigeria, some say these children who beg have money in their pockets but i say to whosoever is reading this, for a child to go on the streets begging, he/she has a need.
I plead with you reading this, make an impact in the life of a child today. God loves the little ones, sow a seed into the life of a child, nothing is to small to give be it time, money, food, clothes...

I also implore that you watch this short clip (OST) off the movie 'Taare Zameen Par' so you get to have an idea of how this topic came about.


I watched this movie in 2007 and afterwards wrote a book on the story. It had a real effect on me, The first piece of article I ever wrote was inspired by this movie, I hope it inspires you the way it did me.

Remember, Nothing is ever too small to give.

I hope to get feedback from all readers,
GOD BLESS YOU ALL. Till I come your way again.

19 comments:

  1. really inspirational....nice work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really nice! Well done <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate, means a whole lot.. Thank You all so much for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness..u just keep getting better

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew it was that movie. Nice work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this just made me cry

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really good... Nice work son

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really good. I love what u are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really luvly.*sobs*

    ReplyDelete
  11. check my latest post here: nonyeeges.blogspot.com and vote to make nigeria a better place....

    ReplyDelete
  12. i've seen this movie and somehow it seems to have the same effect on every one. Children are special indeed and they deserve to be treated as such. Nice write-up by the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You very much, I really appreciate :)

      Delete

Make a Comment